Monday, October 12, 2009

Living Will

A few years ago I thought about a living will. Usually when you think about a will you think about inheriting millions of dollars (at least that's what the movies project). I thought about what I had to leave behind for my children cause Lord knows it wasn't a million dollars!

Since Shawn's passing and having to sort through her unfinished business it makes me think more about a living will. We sorted through her clothing, important papers and memorables and decided what we were going to keep that reminded us of her. I've been wearing her shoes, jewlery and hair accessories. My niece asked me why would I wear her mother's things. I explained to her that I wanted to feel close to my sister because I missed her so much. My niece told me that even though her mother was dead that she still needed her things in heaven to wear. Pretty insightful for a 7 year old! I told her that her mother would want me to wear her things so that I could feel closer to her. I promised my niece that I would not hurt or destroy her mother's things. We made sure that we set some things aside for both of my nieces (Briana & Mary) to remember their mother.

I think about what I have to leave behind for my children and grandchildren. I think about wether or not my brother would allow my children to be in control of my estate. I never thought far ahead enough to save money aside for them to have for their future. I've always struggled to take care of them so extra money was not really an option. With Shawn's death I've had to really consider death benefits (or life insurance). My boys are too old to receive my social security benefits. I think the most valuable things I have to give are my stories. The little creative parts of me that have more of me involved in them than anything else I own.

So, with this said, it's time for a little responsibility on my part. Budgeting to get life insurance so that my family is not bogged down trying to pay for the disposal of my body. Really taking stock of all of my personal liabilities as to not make my children & grandchildren be responsible for my legalities. Dividing up the few properties that I own between my children, grandchildren, siblings and my mother. It's amazing how the death of a loved one makes you stand up and take notice of your own "mad house".

No comments: